Skip to main content

Roslyn shopping cart DSL – Part 4

Why Source to source translation?

In order to answer that question, I wanna provide some background on what are the choices that we have when building a DSL on .NET (at least the most common that I’ve used).

Prior to the “magic lambda” era, there were few choices, the one I've used the most, was a hand written parser that creates syntax trees and a code generator that traverses those trees generating MSIL code using Reflection.Emit. This solution was OK but it was also a lot of work, even for a simple "Hello World DSL". It’s definitely a path I wouldn't take nowadays.

When .NET 3.5 saw the light, we had more options, back then it was possible to use linq expressions to represent our programs and traverse those expressions in order to emit target code. It wasn’t  the easyest thing, but at least the days were we have to build a bunch of classes to represent or compose expressions were gone. Then we had the lambda compiler and linq statements which allowed us to compose and compile more complex lambdas to delegates and invoke those delegates just as normal code.

Along the way (between 2.0 and 3.5) the DLR was born and gave us a net way to work with call sites, dynamic types, runtime binders, and so on. We still had to write our own parsers, but the rest of what we need was ready to use. And also we could peek at the IronPython code, IronRuby and the DLR itself and see how things work under the hood.

And finally we got Roslyn which give us a whole bunch of magic right out of the box as long as we provide valid C# or VB code, and this is why I choose source to source translation. It's way easier to implement than any of the options mentioned above, because almost all of the components are already built, this allow us to build a walking skeleton in a couple of hours or a maybe one or two days.

There’s a couple of ways to do source to source translation, usually the choice relies on the DSL's syntax complexity (which should remain simple for our DSL to succeed). In this post I took the "the simplest code that maybe works" approach , which was string substitution. The end result was a piece of sloppy code, that you may never want to use in a real app, but it was good enough to get the job done ;)

In future posts I’ll be showing how to implement source to source translation for non trivial scenarios. I’ll try to include how to parse source code, build syntax trees and traverse those trees emitting target language code.

There is a bunch of aspects I didn’t cover in this series such as error handling, performance, code optimizations, parser generators and so on and so forth, but I think was a good starting point to start playing with DSLs on top of the Roslyn APIs.


  1. any full source code sample about it ?

    1. Hi Kiquenet, I thought I was added the link at the bottom of the page... any way here it goes
      (The source to source translation as shown in this series is really sloppy, I wouldn't use it as a starting point, the rest it's let say ok ;))


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating an ASP.NET MVC 4 app from Azure websites to WinHost

About a week ago I've to migrate an ASP.NET MVC 4/EF5 application from Azure websites to WinHost. While the process was really smooth, there were some caveats related to database connections that I want to share with you. Create and setup the ftp profile on VS and configure the connection string was really easy, WinHost provide you those values and there is nothing special here. But once you deploy your website and try to see it online, you may get the “yellow screen of dead” with the message: "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)" Assuming you wrote the connection string properly, this happens because you cannot use the default connection name in your web.c

How to show excel files inside the .NET Webbrowser Control

If you are reading this, chances are you been banging your head against the wall for a couple of hours (or even days) trying to show excel files inside the WinForms webbrowser control. Possible reasons you ended up in here: You had working code that got broke after upgrading from Win 7. Your code doesn’t work the same way between machines running different (newer) versions of IE. A download box pops up every time your app tries to show an excel file inside the webbrowser control (you wanna show the actual content). You just have no clue on how to get excel working into the .NET embedded webbrowser control. You are trying to implement IInternetSecurityManager and don’t know where to start. (Or how don’t know how to delegate calls to your security manager). Among many other, maybe….. Yes, COM is a PITA, so is ActiveX and IE (Embedded or full for that matter). And no, showing excel files inside the webbrowser control shouldn’t be that hard, but sometimes we have

Moving to Medium

It's been a long time since I want to give medium a try, and finally, I made some time to do it. To get started on the new platform, I'll be doing series on "Getting programming concepts, languages and tools". If it sounds interesting to you, please take a look at the first post  Getting AWK  and spread the word if you like it. I'm not going to migrate old entries to the new web site. They will remain here safe and sound! As usual, thanks for reading!