Skip to main content

Ruby and CQRS - Command methods should return nothing

CQRS stands for Command Query Responsibility Segregation and the basic rules are:
Commands - Perform (side effects) actions on the system and don't return values.
Queries  - Return values but can't touch the system's state.
Idealy, you don't mix them. Hence you can say, commands are dangerous, and
queries are safe.

Now, ruby doesn't have a specific type to say: this method (command) returns nothing, like void in C and other languages. So, the question is: How do you state that a particular method returns nothing?

Based on comments from the ruby mailing list, people are using these approaches;
1. Return self.
2. Return nil.
3. Implicit return (which in general, ends up being nil).

If I'd have to pick one, I'd go with the last one, but I also like to throw
another option into the mix....
Why don't create a class for this particular use case? Let's say, Nothing!

module Nothing
class Nothing
end

def nothing
@nothing ||= Nothing.new
end
end

class CommandQueryApi
include Nothing

# By using the nothing helper, is clear that the method returns, nothing!
def cmd_foo
# Do something
nothing
end
end


I 've used this approach a couple of times, and at least to me and my team, when you look at the code, is pretty clear that the method returns, well, nothing ;)

Not sure is this is the ruby way, but has being working so far.

Comments

  1. Nice article, thanks for the information. You give me some idea's. I will bookmark for next reference.


    Learn more Cloud Contact Centers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow interesting! !!first i was read this article i was amaze,hope many readers you may help.. Goodluck!!


    Horseshoe Bay Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!

    wait till you see Camelot Kona Charters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing wonderful information of giving best information. Its more useful and more helpful. Great doing keep sharing.

    wait till you see Shoretel Resellers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got an idea. Very helpful post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to create MS Word documents from Office templates using C#

The OpenXML SDK allows you to do pretty much anything you want with office files such as Excel, Word, etc… While many people like this library, I found it complex, unintuitive and poorly documented, not to mention the awful xml format that uses under the hood to represent the documents, styles, etc. So I decided not to use it and build my own solution. If you, like me, don’t like that library, you will find in this post an alternative approach to build word documents from templates using c#.
A neat trick to work with Office is to use the macro recorder to understand how things work. The macro recorder allows you to start a macro, do something by hand, stop it, and then take a look at the generated VBA code. Once you do this, you are pretty much set.
This is how it looks the template I’am going to use.


Note: save the file as a Word template (.dotx)
This is the code to create Word documents from C#:

By running the code, you should get a document that looks like this.


Note that the font, forma…

How to replace text with images on Word documents using C#

This post it’s a reply to a question I got from a previous post that shows how to work with Word templates from C# code. If you haven’t read it, I recommend to do so because I’m not going into details here. But basically it was about how to create a Word document from a template and perform same text manipulation.
So, the question from Marcel Kieboom was
“Do you know if it would be also possible to replace one of the words with an image which is locally stored?”
The answer is yes, and this is how you can do that.

Based on the same convention I had used in the previous post, I should have a template like this:


What I’m trying to do here is replace the text [angus-young] for an actual pic of Angus. The technique I’m using it’s pretty common on web sites and basically consist in have an image with a matching name for each keyword I want to replace and then create the image path dynamically.
This is the C# code to do that.


* When I execute the find operation I’m using the flag WdReplace…

WinForms, paging the DataGridView the right way

I know this may sound like old history, but in the enterprise world there is still a lot of WinForms development. Just a couple of days ago, I had to implement a custom DataGridView capable to work over a butt load of data (100K+ records) and keep responses times acceptables.
I thought paging will be a good way to go, and as WinForms is pretty old nowadays, I supposed it will be easy to find a couple examples on the web.
While in fact I found examples, all of them were incompletes and/or they wouldn't perform well in real world apps... So I decided to roll my own component and post it online. Hopefully, someone else will find it useful ;).


The bread and butter of this solution relies on LINQ and deferred execution. As LINQ takes care of all complicated work, it was quite easy to implement.
This component also supports conditional format, sorting and some search capabilities, but in this post I will concentrate on paging only (I'll cover the rest of the features in future posts)…